Hello WGCSD School Community!
I hope this message finds you rested and excited for a return to school tomorrow!
I have a few updates for you as we get ready for a new week.
COVID-19 Specific Updates:
As many of you have seen and heard, Governor Hochul announced today that the mask mandate for schools is going to be lifted on Wednesday March 2, 2022. With that said, we will be enforcing mask wearing Monday 2/28 and Tuesday 3/1.
State officials are anticipating a release of updated guidance documents by tomorrow afternoon. Once we review the updates, I will communicate with you as soon as possible.
With optional masking in our near future, we ask that our families begin having conversations with children regarding family preference. The Watkins Glen Central School District will respect the decisions of all members of our school community.
As a reminder, the District has a large inventory of at-home test kits available for all students and staff. In addition, the District will continue to keep masks on hand for those in need.
As always, I appreciate your patience and support as we await further communication.
I would like to take this opportunity to shine some positive lights on some great things happening in and around our school family!
- Shout out to the Watkins Glen PTO who hosted the Ties and Tiaras event for the first time since prior to the pandemic! Huge thank you goes out to Watkins Glen International for hosting the event!
- Shout out to the WGHS National Honor Society who hosted the 2022 Charity Ball at the Seneca Lodge prior to February Break. The event was a huge success as they raised $600 for the Schuyler Humane Society. In addition to the charitable contribution, an additional 50 items were donated to support this valuable organization! Thank you to the Seneca Lodge for their willingness to host this great event year after year!
- Shout out to Coach Morse and the JV Girls Hoops team for closing out their undefeated season and claiming the JV Large School IAC Championship!
- Shout out to Coach Westervelt and the Boys Swimming and Diving Team! Freshman, Liam Smith won two individual section titles. His first, in the 200 Yard Freestyle in 1:55.59, and his second, in the 500 Yard Freestyle in 5:21.67. Liam was also named the meet's Outstanding Performer. In addition, WGHS Senior, Ben Swinnerton captured the 100 Yard Breaststroke title. Ben is also the new owner of the WG Pool record for this event. Congrats!
- Finally, I would like to congratulate Coach Fazzary and the Varsity Boys Basketball team on their advancement to the semi-final round of the Class C Section Four tournament. Big thank you to everyone that came out to the support the team last night. This was our largest crowd since prior to closure in 2020.
We are looking forward to welcoming students and staff back to school tomorrow!
I hope you enjoy the rest of your Sunday.
Watkins Glen Central School District
Superintendent of Schools