Hello WGCSD School Community!
As I communicated on Sunday evening, Governor Hochul has announced that the school mask mandate will be lifted tomorrow, Wednesday, March 2, 2022.
Here is what that means for students, staff, and visitors in Schuyler County schools:
- As of tomorrow 3.2.2022:
- Students, staff, and visitors will no longer be required to wear face coverings while in school or on school grounds but may continue to do so if they wish.
- Masks will no longer be required on school buses or at school-sponsored events (sporting events, concerts, plays etc.)
- As we are still in Sectional play for Varsity Boys Basketball, this will be up to the neutral locations where we will be playing. For the game tomorrow at SUNY Cortland, masking will be OPTIONAL for all players, coaches, and spectators.
- However, per Schuyler County Public Health, if a student or staff member tests positive for Covid-19 a mask will be required.
- As you will recall, a positive test or close contact designation results in a minimum 5-day quarantine. With that said, those who test positive or are deemed in close contact with a positive case will be required to wear a mask on the sixth through tenth day of an official quarantine.
As always, parents and caregivers are encouraged to monitor their children for symptoms and keep those who are sick at home. Any families needing at-home test kits may call their child’s school to arrange pick-up.
If there is an uptick in positive cases in Schuyler County, a mask mandate may once again be put into effect.
If you have any questions, please call the school to speak with a nurse or the superintendent.
With optional masking officially upon us, I ask that you communicate your family wishes with your children. As I stated earlier, the Watkins Glen Central School District will respect the decisions of all members of our school community.
I will communicate with you as new information is released and processed.
Thank you for your continued support and patience!
Watkins Glen Central School District
Superintendent of Schools