Hello WGCSD School Community!
Happy Valentine’s Day from the Watkins Glen Central School District!
I would like to send a HUGE shout out to the Village of Watkins Glen for their hard work to ensure that the water issue we communicated about last week did not impact school for our students. Due to their efficient work and creativity, our water service was never interrupted, and we were able to hold on to our last emergency day! On behalf of the District, thank you!!
Below are a few important updates:
Pre-Break Rapid Test Kit Distribution:
With February Break rapidly approaching, our state officials have asked that school districts make rapid test kits available to our school communities prior to the start of the break so families can test if they need to. With that said, we will be distributing kits at the following dates and times for students and families in our District:
- Tomorrow, 2.15.2022 from 5:30 – 6:00PM
- Wednesday, 2.16.2022 from 5:30 – 6:00PM
- Both handouts will take place at the HS Flag Pole Entrance.
- One test kit will be available per student
If these times do not work for you, test kits are available upon request by contacting your child’s Main Office. We will provide test kits if supplies last. Currently, we have a substantial number of test kits available for distribution.
A Busy Week in WG Athletics:
It is championship season!
- On Wednesday February 16, our Division Champion Junior Varsity Girls Basketball team will bring their undefeated record into the IAC Large School JV Championship game at 6PM in the Watkins Glen Field House.
- On Thursday February 17, our state ranked (11) Division Champion Varsity Boys Basketball team will compete for the IAC Large School Championship at TC3 at 7:45PM.
- After individual IAC Championship victories from Liam Smith (500 Free), Max Ricca (Diving), and Ben Swinnerton (100 Breaststroke), the WG/OM Swimming and Diving Team competes in sectional prelims on Wednesday at 5PM. With the goal of competing on Saturday in Sectionals in the WG Pool at 10AM.
- Finally, our Bowling Teams head to Vestal’s Midway Lanes to compete in the Sectional Tournament on Friday evening and Saturday morning.
Specific information for each event is available in Schedule Galaxy.
Best of luck to all the student athletes competing this weekend! Thank you to all the families and community members that support our programs throughout the busy winter athletic season!
This is a FANTASTIC opportunity to show how WG PROUD you are!
That all for now.
Watkins Glen Central School District
Superintendent of Schools